Sunday, November 8, 2009

That's a Rhap

So yesterday I had my brush with reality TV fame as an MTV camera crew followed me around for a Rhapsody commercial shoot. The concept for the spot was that for every moment there is a song and you can get that song "anytime, anywhere on Rhapsody." To convey this they set out to capture an average day of a normal Rhapsody user (me) and overlay the personal soundtrack I'd choose for specific moments.

A Little Background
Those who know me well know that I am a big Rhapsody user/ fan. So, it seemed fitting that when Heidi O' sent me a link for a "Rhapsody's biggest fan casting call" I had to submit. I answered some questions (written and on film) and sent in my submission. A few days later (last Friday) I found out I was selected. Before I knew it (or could rethink it), 10 guys were out here from New York to shoot a commercial!










The Day
The plan was to capture a normal, yet interesting day. With not much happening on this particular fall Saturday and the inclement weather adding another twist, interesting proved to be a bit difficult. The crew was super cool though and made do with my surprisingly uninspired day. Starting at our house around 9:30 a.m., the following is a list of the scenes we shot and the songs that they reminded me of (to be edited in as the soundtrack to the commercial).

Making breakfast for Colleen and I- My Morning Jacket- The Way That He Sings

Bike Ride Through City- The Temper Trap- Sweet Disposition

Catching the sunset at South Lake Union Park (self reflection scene)- The XX- Islands

Workin late at the office- Thievery Corporation- Lebanese Blonde

Hangin out with friends- Passion Pit- Smile Upon Me

That's a Rhap
All in all it was a pretty fun day. I wish we had some better weather though to make getting out around the city a bit easier. The hardest parts were definitely the close-up shots when they asked me about the moments we shot and what song it reminded me of. Picking a song off the top of my head and describing why I chose it proved to be more difficult than I thought it would be. With the lights, cameras, and crew all up in my grill, expressing personal moments through song off the cuff was not an easy task; a bit stressful even.



So, I don't think I'll be signing up for any reality shows any time soon, or ever for that matter. I'd much rather be on the other side of the camera for sure. I definitely could see marketing for Rhapspdy or creative director being a pretty sweet gig...

(The commercial should air on the the various MTV channels sometime in December/ January.)

No comments:

Post a Comment